[LIVE] Emby with Alexa skill

Angelblue05

Angelblue05

You will find a new Emby skill in the skill store (the old one has been suppressed). Changes were made to the invocation name, the new invocation name is m. b. home.

Emby skill

The skill is available in English US, UK, Canada, Australia and India.

Using Alexa as a player

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Alexa#using-alexa-as-a-player

Slight change to Play actions only

If you want to send the play action to another player than your default one, use "on another player". The change was necessary to drastically improve title recognition. I will keep looking into restoring the previous behavior without impacting title recognition.

Previously: Play Supernatural on Emby Theater.
Previously: Play Supernatural on Living room TV.
Now: Play Supernatural on another player.

Title being recognized incorrectly, or want to add a shortcut name? Add it to the list. The changes are picked up instantly.

https://goo.gl/forms/VgUty6pcSYOPfZH33

FR to do

Play that again. - Replay what just played.

Help translate

If you want to translate the project, you'll find it hosted on our OneSky translation app. If you have any questions, send me a message. These are public projects, so create an account if you don't have one and start translating here:

alexainternal strings

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 4

Angelblue05

Version 1.1

Fixes:

• Playback on the Alexa enabled device, it should also correctly report playback on your dashboard.
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Changes:

• Added support to dynamically retrieve the server address from emby connect. You will need to disable/re-enable the skill to support this. Useful if you have a dynamic ip but no dns.

• 4 weeks later...
sonnaps

So, this is still not working, correct?  I've tried removing the skill and adding it back.  I'm still getting "Sorry the Emby skill is no longer available."  I am also using the new invocation of "m.b. home".

Angelblue05

So, this is still not working, correct? I've tried removing the skill and adding it back. I'm still getting "Sorry the Emby skill is no longer available." I am also using the new invocation of "m.b. home".

No, the skill is working. Did you grab the new version from the skill store? The old skill was suppressed in favor of the new one, but you have to get that new version and enable it. Keep me posted.

sonnaps

No, the skill is working. Did you grab the new version from the skill store? The old skill was suppressed in favor of the new one, but you have to get that new version and enable it. Keep me posted.

Yup, I'm pretty sure I have the right one.  It's the only one that comes up and it even references "m.b. home" in the description.

5b6b616962144_Screenshot_20180808172821_

This is the link to the skill I am using...  https://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#skills/dp/B07F8VC9F9

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Thanks for letting me know. It tells me the skill is live too. Are you able to check your history to confirm Alexa did correctly hear you say m. b. home and not something else?

Edit: I also see requests coming in live atm so no, the skill is definitely active.

Edit2: If Alexa hears you say Emby, then that's another story. Let me know if that is the case so I can contact Alexa support to see what's going on with that.

Edited by Angelblue05

sonnaps

Thanks for letting me know. It tells me the skill is live too. Are you able to check your history to confirm Alexa did correctly hear you say m. b. home and not something else?

Edit: I also see requests coming in live atm so no, the skill is definitely active.

Edit2: If Alexa hears you say Emby, then that's another story. Let me know if that is the case so I can contact Alexa support to see what's going on with that.

Well, a few things... it works for me now, sort of.  If I say "Alexa, open m.b. home", is works then and I can continue with other commands.  If, though, I start off with "Alexa, ask m. b. home what's next" , I still get the "Sorry the Emby skill is no longer available."

As for my history, that part is strange for me. I wanted to check the Alexa service is hearing me correctly. I only see the successful requests listed, though, like when it works.  As for all the failed attempts, I don't see any of that history at all.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Thanks for the update. I will contact Alexa support. I have no control over starting phrases, something must be wrong with it where it's trying to invoke the suppressed skill or something.

Really weird, anyway. I'll reply here once I have an answer. It may take a bit, their support is a bit slow.

Angelblue05

I have not received a reply yet.

Thanks for letting me know. I am on dev and don't have this problem. Also in your screenshot, she heard n. b. home?

Guest asrequested

I have not received a reply yet.

Thanks for letting me know. I am on dev and don't have this problem. Also in your screenshot, she heard n. b. home?

Apparently that's what she heard. That's what I get when I use 'Ask'. If I say 'Begin' she hears m.b. home.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Angelblue05

Any movement on this? It's really annoying it doesn't work.

It sounds like the user hasn't disabled the old version of your skill. If they go to their Skills list in the Alexa app, and select the now-suppressed skill, clicking to disable the skill should fix this. Then, they should be able to enable the correct skill

Please let me know if that works or not.

Edited by Angelblue05

• 2 weeks later...

Enabling Alexa Skill for Spanish (MX) and willing to do the translation! 

I tried to install the skill through the Alexa Web App.. howewer when I reached to the activation screen once I cliced on it I was returned to the skills search page. Skill appears but it shows needs intervention... however when I click on it it takes me back to the skill search page and nothing happens.

5beca12b5c4b9_20181114_162533.jpg

clicking on it brings me here...

5beca1688fc40_20181114_162728.jpg

Edited by Smaky
  • Like 1

I have just completed the first pass over Emby-Home Shared for spanish. Also noticed there is no Spanish slot for Emby-Home/Alexa. I would be willing to give it a shot once it is available.

Help translate

If you want to translate the project, you'll find it hosted on our OneSky translation app. If you have any questions, send me a message. These are public projects, so create an account if you don't have one and start translating here:

alexainternal strings

Edited by Smaky
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Added just now. Pm me if you have any questions.

Could you please also add italian?

Sorry if i ask but, how much would it take to finalize the skill app. I mean how much did it took to submit the france, german or indian skill after the translation was completed?

• 2 weeks later...
stevedawg85

so do I have to enable my emby to be viewable over the web?  I tried asking Alexa, and it tells me it can't connect to server blah blah.

• 3 months later...
BrettM

Hi All,

Is there a list of commands that work with Alexa that we can use? for example if I want to play a movie from a certain category how would we do it or can we just ask it to play a certain movie ?

BuddahKat

Is it possible (or if not, then planned) to use voice commands to navigate to Live TV channels? I saw on the wiki a command for 'tune in channel {name}' but it seems to be referring to radio stations.